Monday, June 2, 2014

Answer Me This: June 1


Yes, yes, yes; I know I just titled this post June 1 even though I'm writing it on the 2nd, but since I usually do my AMT on Sundays, I'd rather not throw off the rhythm. I'm a day late, but not a dollar short, so here we go! This week's Answer Me This, linking up at catholicallyear.com!


1. Do you have a smart phone?
Oh thank goodness yes; used to be I didn't see the need for it; now I can't imagine being without it. Papa Bear got me an iPhone for my birthday back in 2011, and a few months later I got him one for an early Christmas gift. It is so wonderful being able to FaceTime whenever he is traveling for work, it really helps the kids not miss him so much since they can actually SEE him. We're also big fans of the AnyList app, which lets us share grocery lists and other to-do lists and see each other's updates virtually instantly. It's a bit of a joke with me that if events don't go into my iPhone calendar that they don't happen. And I must say I've grown quite accustomed to being able to check the radar or look up directions, phone numbers, etc when out running errands. I've also got a few apps for each of the kids, which I try not to overuse, but there are certainly times they come in handy!


2. Which is your favorite meal of the day?
I don't know that there's any one meal that is consistently my favorite each day. Generally speaking, my favorite meals are probably early dinners; ones where we're not rushed in our preparations but can rather enjoy our time together in the kitchen, and then can take our time dining and sharing the company of family and/or friends. A meal that starts early and runs into the night. Bonus points if the weather is nice and we can eat outside without being assailed by oppressive heat or persistent bugs. A table full of good food which has been lovingly prepared, and a gathering of those who care about each other, with the air full of the sounds of conversation and laughter. Just the thought of it makes my heart happy.

3. Shower or bath?
A shower as a matter of routine, since I don't have the ability to transfer in and out of a tub independently. But about every 3-4 months Papa Bear will help me in and out of the tub, and oh how I savor it! Soaking in the warm, the peacefulness, the solitude. Pure bliss, which I never fully appreciated until it became a special treat. 

4. Think of a person you love. How many days have you been in love with that person? (Don't worry, this site will do the math for you. And, hey, now you can order this card!)
 Dec 2003, not long after getting engaged
3,948 days...wow! that sounds so much bigger than 10, almost 11 years! Papa Bear and I had our first date on August 10, 2003, our second date the next day, our third date the day after that. And by the end of that third date on August 12, I knew he was "the one". I'd had a boyfriend in college who I dated for about four years. Spending so long with him, and having several guys who I'd been on just one or two dates with in between, I had a very firm idea of what I did/didn't want in a husband, what I could tolerate, and what was non-negotiable. The guys I dated in between were cut quickly because I could tell they didn't have everything I was looking for. After 72 hours, I knew Papa Bear had the complete package of everything I knew I wanted, and many things I didn't know I wanted until I met him. (After living in the north for many years, there was definitely something to be said for a chivalrous southern gentleman!) From our first date to the day we got engaged was only about 3 1/2 months! Anyone else I would have said they were crazy, but with him it was just...right. And still is.

5. What's the best church you've ever been inside?

Well, having traveled to France when I was 16, it's hard to compete with the Sacre Cour and Notre Dame. Stateside, though, I think I'd have to say St. Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh. 

When I was in college, living within walking distance of the Cathedral parish was definitely a treat. 


















Many a prayer have I offered while gazing upon that altar.















And you've got to love a good pipe organ!


















Note: all images from Google search, and I do not claim ownership of any of them!





6. Happy Feast of the Visitation! Has anyone ever come to help YOU?
More than I can count. We have been so blessed by people coming to our aid in various times of need. I think that's part of why Papa Bear and I both tend to be so service-minded. It's our way of giving thanks and repaying the generosity of all who have given help to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment